Korean Prawn & Kimchi Mandu (새우김치만두)

As you’ll know if you read the blog often, I’m really getting into my Korean food at the moment. This is mainly down to my other half Dave because he lived and taught there for a while and has helped me discover this amazing cuisine.

Kimchi is an essential part of Korean culture and no meal is complete with out. I love it, the spicy fizz of the fermented cabbage and chilli sounds a bit odd but when you try it, you’ll know what I mean. In fact, I love it so much, I had a go at making my own (see the recipe here). Sadly we’d eaten it all so we used shop bought Kimchi for these tasty mandu.

Kimchi Mandu

I received a copy of Kimchi: Essential Recipes of the Korean Kitchen for Christmas. Its a great book dedicated to that wonderful stuff and has some lovely and surprisingly easy recipes in it.

The below recipe for prawn & kimchi mandu is a tweak I’ve made on a recipe in the book for kimchi mandu. I’ve used ready made gyoza pastry and switched pork for prawns. You can see the original recipe here on google books. Mandu is very similar to gyoza and other asian dumplings but I’m sure if you asked a Korean they would tell you mandu is different.

Serves 4 as a snack
Ingredients:

• 200g finely diced raw prawns
  • 50g finely chopped spring onions
  • 1 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
  • 50g finely chopped onion
  • 100g kimchi – liquid squeezed out and finely diced
  • Ready made gyoza pastry sheets
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1/2 tsp chilli powder
  • Salt and pepper
  • Water for sealing (you’ll need a little pastry brush)
For the dipping sauce
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 dash rice wine vinegar

Method:

• Mix together the prawns, chilli powder, garlic, kimchi, spring onions & onions.
  • Take a gyoza pastry sheet and place around 1 tbsp of filling into the centre.
  • Dampen the edges with water and gently fold over into a half moon shape encasing the filling firmly.
  • Crimp of fold the doughs edges making sure its fully sealed. Sealing is more important than looks as no one wants a water logged mandu!
  • Mix your ingredients for the dipping sauce and put into a small bowl.
  • Drop the mandu into boiling water and cook for around 6 minutes. You’ll see the prawns turn pink inside the pastry as they cook.
  • Drain the mandu using a slotted spoon and with the dipping sauce whilst still hot.

The one thing I CAN’T help you with is the delicate folding of the mandu. Mine are pretty ugly – but they taste SO good dipped in that salty sauce and slurped in one go.  The crimping looks easier than it is! Also, be careful not to overcook them – keep an eye on your timings as water can start to get in and they are ruined. Final note – Don’t over fill the pan, cook in batches if needed!

Grab a copy of Kimchi: Essential Recipes of the Korean Kitchen now!

1. 9th March 2016 / 12:06 pm

YUMMY! These look fab – make them for me when I come visit please x

2. 9th March 2016 / 5:23 pm

Those dumplings look divine – bet they were tasty too!!

3. 9th March 2016 / 7:30 pm

These look so good and such an impressive thing to make yourself! Well done!

4. 10th March 2016 / 2:21 pm

This just looks absolutely delicious. I love Korean food! I'm taking my mum and her boyfriend to our fave Korean place for the first time this weekend. I'm slightly worried she'll hate it but who cares there's kimchi and we all love kimchi!

5. 11th March 2016 / 12:15 am

oh wow. I 'd love to try that. It sounds so tasty and maybe something my whole family might enjoy. Angela from Daysinbed

6. 11th March 2016 / 9:21 am

This is something my partner would love – he's really into eastern dishes, but I'm rubbish at cooking, so hardly ever treat him to any lol

7. 11th March 2016 / 9:50 am

The recipe above makes loads so there are definitely enough here for a family to munch on!

8. 11th March 2016 / 9:51 am

I love Korean food too! If your mum and bf like asian food I'm sure they'll love it. And KIMCHI 0MG don't get me started! I LOVE it 🙂

9. 11th March 2016 / 9:53 am

Hello new IG friend! I'll definitely be dropping by your blog today. 🙂

10. 11th March 2016 / 10:06 am

Teehee, look closely kerry, they are a bt ugly. But they tasted GREAT! Which is the most important thing. I'll be making them again soon but with my own kimchi.

11. 11th March 2016 / 12:15 pm

I'd never thought about making these myself, but I love these type of things when I go out for food especially chicken ones x

12. 11th March 2016 / 2:53 pm

Yummy. I love trying various international recipes and this looks very delicious.

13. 11th March 2016 / 7:39 pm

I have never tried Korean food – I am not very adventurous! This looks delicious though. Kaz x

14. 11th March 2016 / 8:30 pm

oh wow this sounds and looks amazing I may need to try it

15. 12th March 2016 / 12:02 pm

Oh my goodness, these look totally amazing. I've eaten similar out and wouldn't have had a clue how to make at home, I'm now salivating and wanting these now!

16. 12th March 2016 / 3:50 pm

I love korean foods and can not get enough of them, I visited korea twice last year and going back end of April and ready for some proper kimchi, bbq pork and soju (great combo in my books) hongdae here i come lol. Lovely recipe

17. 12th March 2016 / 9:47 pm

Oh how good do these look! I wouldn't know where to start if I was making then from scratch 🙂

18. 14th March 2016 / 11:18 am

Oh my gosh, these look absolutely divine and you make them sound so easy to make too x

19. 14th March 2016 / 4:20 pm

Thank you! You should try them, they aren't too difficult! It's just the folding which is tricky 😛

20. 14th March 2016 / 4:29 pm

Lovely! We're hoping to go later this year too, my other half lived there for a year and a half and I can't wait! I love Soju and BBQ pork.

21. 14th March 2016 / 4:31 pm

Thanks Camilla! That's made my day 🙂 🙂

22. 24th March 2016 / 10:08 pm

I love dumplings and could eat them every day, now I really need to try out these prawn & kimchi mind. I adore Korean food, so these will be featuring very soon and I live very near to the wonderful Korea Foods, so have unlimited supplies of kimchi around the corner!

23. 27th March 2016 / 8:51 pm

I'm missing my Korean fix at the moment. Was working down in New Malden last 11 months, finished the contract end of Feb. Had Korean lunch most days at work.