What’s this? Gingey posting a vegetarian recipe? Yes I know..it’s really happening..
I’ve decided I eat too much meat. I know some of you reading this will not think such a thing is possible but to see if I feel any better and any healthier, I’ve decided to try and incorporate at least two vegetarian meals into my diet each week. The chances of me eating quorn on a regular basis are thin so I’m turning to things like curry, pasta dishes and these – homemade bean burgers.
This recipe was totally made up as we went along and the instructions feature a couple of tweaks which will improve the consistency for you. I can’t wait for the next BBQ so I can bust these out again.
Ingredients: makes 8 burgers
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 medium onion
- 1 400g tin kidney beans
- 1 400g tin chick peas
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsbp harissa paste
- 1 fat garlic clove
- 1 red chilli
- Olive oil – or, I used Mellow Yellow rapeseed oil.
- A thumb sized piece of ginger
- Approx 40-50g breadcrumbs
- Salt & pepper to season
- Preheat your oven to around 180c / gas mark 4.
- Cut the squash into small chunks & put into an oven dish with a drizzle of olive oil and the chilli powder, cumin and paprika. Season and roast in the oven for around 25 mins or until soft. Leave to one side to cool.
- Fry your onion, ginger, garlic and chilli for around 5-7 mins on a medium heat – you don’t need to be too precise with your chopping as it’ll all be going into the blender. The onion needs to be soft.
- Add your squash and onion mixture to a blender along with the drained beans and breadcrumbs. Pulse until you have a course paste. You want some lumps and texture in there. Using the pulse setting lets you more easily manage your progress until you have the right consistency!
- Pour mixture into a big bowl and with clean hands, mould into 8 burgers.
- Place onto a greased tray and flatten down with the back of a fish slice. Grill under a hot grill for around 15-20 mins, turning until they are crispy and brown on the outsides.