Veggie Squash & Bean Burgers

What’s this? Gingey posting a vegetarian recipe? Yes I know..it’s really happening..

I’ve decided I eat too much meat. I know some of you reading this will not think such a thing is possible but to see if I feel any better and any healthier, I’ve decided to try and incorporate at least two vegetarian meals into my diet each week. The chances of me eating quorn on a regular basis are thin so I’m turning to things like curry, pasta dishes and these – homemade bean burgers.

This recipe was totally made up as we went along and the instructions feature a couple of tweaks which will improve the consistency for you. I can’t wait for the next BBQ so I can bust these out again.

Ingredients: makes 8 burgers

• 1 small butternut squash
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 400g tin kidney beans
  • 1 400g tin chick peas
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp chilli powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsbp harissa paste
  • 1 fat garlic clove
  • 1 red chilli
  • Olive oil – or, I used Mellow Yellow rapeseed oil.
  • A thumb sized piece of ginger
  • Approx 40-50g breadcrumbs
  • Salt & pepper to season
Method:
  • Preheat your oven to around 180c / gas mark 4.
  • Cut the squash into small chunks & put into an oven dish with a drizzle of olive oil and the chilli powder, cumin and paprika. Season and roast in the oven for around 25 mins or until soft. Leave to one side to cool.
  • Fry your onion, ginger, garlic and chilli for around 5-7 mins on a medium heat – you don’t need to be too precise with your chopping as it’ll all be going into the blender. The onion needs to be soft.
  • Add your squash and onion mixture to a blender along with the drained beans and breadcrumbs. Pulse until you have a course paste. You want some lumps and texture in there. Using the pulse setting lets you more easily manage your progress until you have the right consistency!
  • Pour mixture into a big bowl and with clean hands, mould into 8 burgers.
  • Place onto a greased tray and flatten down with the back of a fish slice. Grill under a hot grill for around 15-20 mins, turning until they are crispy and brown on the outsides.
We ate with a big green salad and roasted red peppers. On the side we had natural yoghurt spiked with paprika and my favourite – Sriracha chilli sauce. A perfect, healthy, summer evening meal. If you need carbs, try some boiled jersey royals. Yum!
I asked some of my fellow bloggers for their interesting burger recipes and they came up with a rather tasty sounding list.. so, why not try one of these too….
Spicy Black Turtle Bean Burgers – from Camilla at Fab Food 4 All
Salmon Burgers  – from Emily at Recipes & Reviews
Thai Red Curry Falafel Burgers – from Jemma at Celery & Cupcakes
Chocolate Bean Burger & Chilli Sauce – from Choclette at Tin & Thyme

1. 10th July 2015 / 11:15 am

These look delicious! I'm always looking for new veggie burgers to try so I'll definitely give this a go

2. 10th July 2015 / 11:37 am

They were a revelation! I reckon they'd work on the BBQ too. And you can add more harissa if you want them spicier! 🙂 Thanks for your comment Kerry! x

3. 10th July 2015 / 12:31 pm

Love these burgers they look absolutely delicious and now I've discovered veggie burgers I really think meat ones are bland! Thanks for linking to my Black Turtle Bean Burgers:-)

4. 10th July 2015 / 4:25 pm

Thanks Camilla! Your burgers look great too!

5. 10th July 2015 / 6:53 pm

Delicious, I also try to in-cooperate a couple of veggie dishes into my meal. I feel so much better for it and i'm sure you will too 🙂 x

6. 10th July 2015 / 7:26 pm

What fabulous flavours! I love homemade veggie burgers, so easy and so good.

7. 10th July 2015 / 7:41 pm

I've made a promise to myself that I must eat more veggie meals, as I tent to eat meat with every evening meal at the moment. These look like a great recipe to add to my collection. Thanks for sharing.

8. 11th July 2015 / 8:25 am

These sound great. I love veggie burgers and these have such great flavours!

9. 11th July 2015 / 12:47 pm

Thanks for all these lovely comments! The harissa makes these burgers in my mind – love it!

10. 13th July 2015 / 7:40 pm

These looks great-i have that mellow yellow oil and find it a great alternative to olive oil! Did you get it at the good food show?jen_www.abalancedbelly.co.uk

11. 30th August 2015 / 8:38 am

My family really enjoys these veggie burgers. I didn't have any problem with the burgers coming apart. I didn't rinse the beans. Instead I left them in a strainer for 10 minutes to get rid of the excess bean juice without losing too much of the flavor. I also used my stick mixer to grind the black beans into a paste before I mixed everything else in. Thanks for posting this recipe!

12. 31st August 2015 / 12:40 pm

I love it when people try my recipes, thank you so much for commenting and I'm glad you enjoyed them!

13. 10th December 2015 / 12:39 am

Looks delicious! I love veggie burgers but have never made them myself.

14. 9th March 2016 / 3:45 pm

I love making my own veggie burgers and will be bookmarking these to make one day!