Sweet Orange Warung, Ubud, Bali

Without sounding too far up my own you-know-what, I can honestly say I’m really good at finding hidden gems when it comes to food. I tend to avoid trip advisor, turning instead to instagram and travel blogs to see where similar folk are eating in the places I visit.

It feels like a lifetime ago since we were in Bali but I still have so much stuff to share with you from that trip. Starting with this place: Sweet Orange Warung. A peaceful dining spot just 20 minutes walk outside of Ubud.

What is a Warung?

Wikipedia tells me its a type of small family-owned business — often a casual shop, a modest small restaurant or café — in Indonesia, and to a lesser extent, Malaysia. A warung is an essential part of daily life in Indonesia.”

From my experience that’s a very accurate description. Travelling through Bali, you’ll see them everywhere, some full blown restaurants, some not much more than huts selling food to locals. If you’re looking for authentic Indonesian food they are probably a good place to start too.

Our trip to Ubud was a mixed bag thanks to me succumbing to the dreaded Bali Belly. Fortunately we did still manage to get out and explore beyond the main town and monkey forest. Ubud is a frenetic place, full of locals and tourists tearing around on mopeds and endless shops selling souvenirs, yoga mats and local jewellery. Walking out of the town and across the fields to the peace and tranquility of Sweet Orange Warung was a definite highlight.

Indonesian Traditional Umbrellas
Sweet Orange Warung is around 20 minutes walk out of Ubud. We went after a rain shower so the ground was pretty muddy. With some off-roading and uneven paths to tread, I’d say this is a trainers not a flip flops kind of walk.  It was easy enough to find though, basically north away from the Ubud Palace.
Ducks enjoying the muddy rice fields
Workers in the rice fields, Ubud
Dave snapping away at Sweet orange Warung
The food was tasty and made from scratch whilst we waited. To start we shared Lumpia (spring rolls) and Tempe Goreng (fried tempeh). The Tempeh was our favourite. Crispy on the outside but soft in the centre. The dipping sauce was the same for both dishes. A salty and lightly spiced take on sweet chilli.
Fried Tempe at Sweet Orange WarungHome made spring rolls (lumpia) at Sweet Orange Warung, Bali

For our mains we had Mie Goreng (fried noodles with chicken, vegetables and a fried egg) and Indonesian Chicken Curry with Red Rice. The curry was the winner of the two dishes. A light and spicy broth which was surprisingly refreshing thanks to cucumber being one of the vegetables. The red rice was nutty and quite al dente, a perfect accompaniment to the soft chicken and sauce.

Dave’s Mie Goreng was nice but a bit like our experience at Sjaki-Tari-Us, the noodles were almost certainly from a packet. Perhaps it’s quite common to serve noodles like this? Either way, the dish was enjoyable and packed with veggies too.

Indonesian Curry and Red Rice
Mie Goreng at Sweet Orange Warung, Bali
After our meal we stayed for a while and enjoyed the peaceful space around us. Ubud can be a bit full on and given that this was one of the first days in almost a week that I felt hungry enough to eat a full meal, I wanted to make the most of the fresh air.
Coconut Heads decorating the sweet orange warring
We spent some time talking to the owner, Putu. She had arrived on a moped during our meal, precariously balancing a box of offerings to place around the restaurant. She was in a great mood because it was Purnama, a celebration of the full moon. Putu told us that she and her family would be heading to a large temple that night to celebrate and give prayers.
We were so lucky to have had the chance to hear more about Balinese Hinduism from Putu and also understand what the offerings we’d seen so much of actually mean. Earlier in the day we’d seen hundreds of women making offerings at a temple near to our homestay so, Putu’s explanation suddenly made sense!
She also showed us her coffee equipment which Dave loved (as a coffee obsessive). For a relatively primitive restaurant set up she had it all going on and we enjoyed a delicious Vietnamese coffee before we left.
Vietnamese Drip Coffee
If you’re heading to Ubud, do take the time to head out of the town and find Sweet Orange Warung. It’s an interesting walk through alleys and out into rice fields full of ducks. There are sign posts directing the way if you get lost. That day we got a chance to see Ubud as it might have been before all the yogis and backpackers arrived. Bliss.

1. 2nd March 2017 / 3:07 am

Wow those foods look delicious!!

2. 2nd March 2017 / 4:07 am

Omg, I love finding such places. This might sound weird but I want to visit Bali all the more after your post and photos of delicious food. I'm also overjoyed to discover they have a lot of vegetarian options YAY! Great post.

– gonewithawhim.com

3. 2nd March 2017 / 4:26 am

We went to a similar place in Ubud and loved the peace and quiet in the fields. It was so nice to see the local ladies busy with threshing. And its great to know about the vegetarian options…I am a vegetarian and it makes so much of a difference if a place is vegetarian friendly!

4. 2nd March 2017 / 4:58 am

Duuuude, I really want to go to Indonesia, so this was great. Thanks for writing! Keep it up!

5. 2nd March 2017 / 6:49 am

I had no idea about these spots in bali but now I do! Thanks for sharing. The Lumpia and Tempe look delicious! 😛

6. 2nd March 2017 / 7:34 am

I've also seen this show from a travel show at Travel Channel (obviously). I can distinctively remember wanting to try it out because I was blown away with the unique setting of this dining spot. Your food shots were also inviting! I would love to try this if I were in Bali again some time soon (hopefully).

7. 2nd March 2017 / 8:04 am

That's awesome, glad to hear it Divya! The tempeh was really good, vegan as well as veggie too!

8. 2nd March 2017 / 8:07 am

Ah thanks! I will, Indonesia is awesome (the bits we saw) and I have a load of blog posts still to come 🙂

9. 2nd March 2017 / 8:14 am

We love finding good food off the beaten path – and this place looks incredible! Especially the mie goreng and spring rolls, shouldn't have read this before dinner!!! Great photos too, looks delicious. Will have to make it here next time we're in Bali, thanks for the recommendation.

10. 2nd March 2017 / 9:01 am

Oh my gawd, you're making me miss Asia SO MUCH! I want to go back and eat the local food there now. Things are just so cheap out there, makes me wonder why I choose to live in one of the most expensive cities in the world, lol. Thanks for sharing! I'm definitely looking forward to going back to Indonesia. 🙂

11. 2nd March 2017 / 3:41 pm

I was in Ubud back in 2012 and I've been thinking about going back since. I live in Chiang Mai, Thailand right now and it's just around the corner… You just gave me extra reasons to book my flight! 🙂

12. 2nd March 2017 / 4:30 pm

I research with Insta and travel blogs too! Loved the pics and the review – fresh food can't be beaten

13. 2nd March 2017 / 5:28 pm

Oh my….i am drooling and missing Asia so bad. Such a beautiful country with so much history and character – i can go to Indonesia again and again and again:) Thanks for sharing… your photos are amazing, LOVE the duckies:)

14. 2nd March 2017 / 5:28 pm

Great photos and some interesting insights about life in Indonesia! I love the food. The pics are mouthwatering!!

15. 3rd March 2017 / 1:10 am

Now I'm having Bali nostalgia! I loved wandering the outskirts of Ubud and finding little gems like this place in the rice fields. Totally want to go back and try this place out, thanks for the tip on skipping flip flops! I totally wear flip flops everywhere (even to hike sometimes LOL) so knowing to wear proper shoes is definitely valuable.

16. 3rd March 2017 / 4:12 am

Stunning photos! I am dying to visit Bali and this just made me want to go even more! I love finding hidden gems like this – the food looks amazing. Thanks for all the great tips!

17. 3rd March 2017 / 6:26 am

What a great find, and the food looks incredible! You certainly found an awesome spot away for the usual foot traffic and in such a peaceful location. I could sit there and take in the surroundings for hours!

18. 3rd March 2017 / 10:37 am

You take such great food photos! This restaurant looks so tranquil and lovely. I would love to visit it one day.

19. 4th March 2017 / 12:48 am

It's always risky reading foodie blogs before dinner! I'm the same!!!

20. 4th March 2017 / 12:49 am

The ducks are awesome aren't they? We have some fun boomerangs of them waddling around! Thanks for dropping by!

21. 4th March 2017 / 12:49 am

Yes I'd love to go back and explore more too. I had flip flops on, it was a challenge!!!

22. 4th March 2017 / 4:02 am

When my husband are traveling we I always love finding things that are different and off the beaten path. Here I was fixated on the mie goring and spring rolls. I especially had to smile when I was reading your post .. my best friend's sister lives in Siapan and frequents Bali. I've always wanted to go.

23. 4th March 2017 / 10:23 am

Heard of Delhi belly, but not Bali belly. I've been to Kuta, but never heard the term Warung. Maybe I didn't stay long enough! As someone who loves citrus flavors, the name Sweet Orange appeals to me.

24. 4th March 2017 / 10:38 am

What a wonderful find off the beaten path. I was in Bali last year and only did the main tourist spots. Hope to check this out next time i'm there… maybe later this year or next year.

25. 5th March 2017 / 4:26 am

What a beautiful piece on Bali. It is such an attraction to visitors and I can see why! It is nice to feature family businesses to support through blogs and I am just like you – I like reading blogs over trip advisor for inspiration and places to go. Those spring rolls looked amazing.

26. 5th March 2017 / 9:48 am

I've been travelling through Indonesia for nearly 2 months now and love finding Warung's! I've eaten so much delicious Mie Gorang I have become allergic to it haha. I'm going to move onto tempe now – that's delicious!! This place was a great find, thanks for sharing!

27. 5th March 2017 / 11:08 pm

Thank you for your kind words! Yes, it's all about small family businesses for me, I always try to avoid the big ones as they don't need your money quite as much do they? Ahh now I'm thinking about spring rolls before breakfast!!

28. 6th March 2017 / 7:09 pm

I've never heard of Warungs. How cool are these?! I love the look of the place and that seating under the tree. The food looks delicious!

29. 8th March 2017 / 1:58 pm

Looks like you had so much fun on your trip! The food looks incredibly delicious. Bali is a dream destination and on my bucket list. Hope to visit there soon!