Now that the snow has melted (again) and we’ve got blue skies and temperatures have risen a little I thought it was time to make something a little lighter for dinner.
This is based around a recipe from my well used Good Food: Meals For Two . The recipe is called Saucy Chicken & Spring Vegetables. The original recipe contains tarragon and broad beans, you can see it here. I’ve tweaked it slightly but the principles are the same – its fresh, healthy and quick to make.
- 250g-300g chicken mini fillets
- 200g baby new potatoes sliced
- 100g broccoli cut into small florets
- 100g green peans cut in half
- Handful frozen peas
- 300ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp half fat creme fraiche
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley for serving
- Fry the chicken fillets in a large pan or frying pan for a few minutes until starting to colour. Add the sliced potatoes and stir. Add the stock and simmer for 10 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.
- After 10 mins, turn up the heat allowing the stock to further reduce (if you have too much liquid at this point, pour a little bit out) and add the broccoli and green beans.Turn the heat down slightly and allow veg to cook for 3-4 mins.
- Add the frozen peas and stir in the creme fraiche to make a nice sauce.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and season to taste.
- Serve with garlic and a bit of crusty bread to soak up the sauce.
This is a great midweek meal and is relatively quick to make. I find that using mini fillets works better than using full chicken breasts as they cook so quickly. Don’t worry about them drying out – poaching them in the stock keeps them moist.