Mary Berry’s Melting Moments

I stumbled across the brilliant Belleau Kitchen blog yesterday and felt inspired by the ‘Random Recipe’ challenge and decided to give it a go.

Here’s what you do:

• Take all your cook books off the shelf and shuffle them up
  • Close your eyes and run your fingers down their spines and stop at a random book
  • Close your eyes again and randomly open the chosen book at a page
  • Cook this dish (if it’s something you’ve cooked before then turn to the next page and cook that dish)… and don’t cheat… (do it with a friend in the room who will make you stick to it…) it’s a challenge after all and you’re only cheating yourself… this is specifically designed to take you out of your comfort zone…! (I love this bit, its so true!)

So as if it was written in the stars, the book I chose was my newest – Mary Berry’s Baking Bible. The recipe I landed on was ‘Melting Moments‘.

Ingredients:

• 225g (8oz) softened butter
  • 175g (6oz) golden caster sugar
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • A few drops vanilla essence
  • 275g (10oz) self-raising flour
  • 50g (2oz) porridge oats
  • 12 red or natural glace cherries.

Method:

• Preheat the oven to 190C/Fan 170C/ Gas mark 5. Line 2 large baking trays with baking parchment.
  • Measure the butter, sugar, egg yolks, vanilla extract and flour into a mixing bowl and beat together to form a soft dough.
  • Divide the mixture into about 36 portions. Form each piece into a ball and roll in the oats to cover. Flatten each ball slightly and top each with a quartered glace cherry, if you like. Place onto the baking trays.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until golden. Allow cooling time on the trays before lifting onto a wire rack to cool.

Verdict:

These taste slightly hobnob-esque and are very crumbly, buttery textured. To be honest, they don’t taste of much really but then given the simple ingredients list, that’s not surprising. They’re easy and quick to make and nice to eat with a cuppa though so for that alone, they’re worth re-making.

8 Comments

1. 18th November 2012 / 11:34 am

ahhh… they're so adorable aren't they? It's so lovely to have a random recipes virgin turn up now and again, I love extending the family far and wide and you'd played along so beautifully… round up will be on the blog at the end of the month xx

2. 29th November 2012 / 1:20 pm

Fab round up, thank you for including me! I'll be back next month for another 'random recipe' – great challenge 🙂

3. 29th November 2012 / 1:56 pm

Mmmm! A simple spicey cookie just perfect for this Christmas season! Welcome, my dear, to Random Recipes! I look forward to seeing much more from your kitchen! Happy Christmas!

4. 30th November 2012 / 8:00 pm

Lovely – we used to get Melting Moments at school when I was a kid for a treat on Fridays, but these look far far better! Yum!

5. 2nd December 2012 / 2:04 pm

These are beautiful with their cherry centers! I don't think you can go wrong with Mary Berry. That woman knows her sweet stuff! I loved that you called them Hobnob-esque because I happen to love Hobnobs.

6. 3rd December 2012 / 12:04 am

These are making me very nostalgic – they look delicious and just like the ones we used to have when I was a kid. Funny thing is, I can't remember what they tasted like. Maybe they didn't taste of very much as you say.

7. 3rd December 2012 / 9:23 am

Hi everyone, thankyou for all your comments! Yes, these biscuits are quite old fashioned really. Although they dont taste of much, they're still quite sweet and very easy to make. Actually, great for kids thinking about it which echos your comments! 🙂

8. Sara
    28th June 2017 / 5:53 pm

I used to bake these with my mother when I was a child and this recipe is the best and easiest by far. I lost my original recipe and have tried many over the years, they all disappointed with this recipe being the exception. Totally delicious mouth watering treat for any occasion. I don’t need an excuse to make these, I’ve been known to get a fancy for them late in the evening and have managed to knock out a batch in no time at all!!