This is a really simple and comforting dinner and something you can throw together without needing too many fresh ingredients so its a good one for end of the month or when you need to keep an eye on your budget. Anyone who reads my blog frequently will know I’ve posted a fair few sausage recipes over the last couple of years and although they are a bit fatty, they are a firm favourite favourite in our house!
- 4 sausages – the best you can afford. I like Porky Whites.
- 1 red onion
- 2 roasted peppers from a jar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 4 mushrooms
- 200g penne pasta
- Fresh lemon basil and parsley
- Dice your onion and fry in a little olive oil for a couple of minutes on a medium heat until they start to soften.
- Add crushed garlic and continue to fry for one more minute.
- Squeeze the sausage meat from the skins and break down in the pan into small 5p sized chunks. The idea is that the meat breaks down and cooks more quickly. Allow it to brown but keep stirring to stop anything sticking or burning.
- Allow the meat to cook down for around 5 mins still on medium heat and then add sliced mushrooms and allow them to cook for around 2-3 mins.
- Turn the heat up and add the tinned toms and sliced jarred peppers.
- Allow to bubble, season to taste and then turn heat down and leave to gently simmer. The sauce will thicken.
- Shortly before mixing in cooked pasta, add torn basil and parsley leaves.