This makes enough tomato soup for 3 good size portions or 4 if eating with bread on the side – and at less than 90p a serving, its really good value. You can pay that for a tin and who knows what they have in them. I’ve worked out costings based on 3 large portions using value price tinned toms and regular for everything else. Of course, the more you make, the cheaper it gets too.
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- Olive oil
- 750ml veg stock
- 2 small carrots, peeled & diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- Salt & pepper to season
- Fresh thyme/ basil, whatever herbs you prefer
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Gently sautee the onion, garlic and carrots in olive oil until soft and translucent. Add the fresh thyme and stir fir a couple of seconds.
- Add the tomato puree and stir through before adding the tinned toms.
- Simmer for 15 – 20 mins until the liquid has reduced slightly.
- Season to taste and sprinkle with fresh thyme/basil whatever you have!
- Blend until smooth and you’re ready to go. That’s it! So simple!
I’m entering this tomato soup into the February No Croutons Required – a blog link up hosted by the wonderful Tinned Tomatoes and Lisa’s Kitchen blogs. Take a look for lots of vegetarian soup and salad inspiration and banish bad packet lunches from your day! Plus, if you fancy getting involved, you have until the 20th of the month to get your entry in!