I followed the Olive magazine 7 meals for £35 back in October (read it here) and since that time it has been my most popular post. A monthly feature, I’ve always looked but don’t always find 7 recipes that both my husband and I want to eat. This month, in the March issue, there is a good selection and even better, its 7 meals for £30 (a grand saving of £5!) so, get ready…. here we go again!
|Served with coriander, lime yoghurt and a sprinkling of cheddar cheese|
This is a great way to try some new recipes without spending a fortune. If you’re a keen cook like I am, you’ll find you have most of the store cupboard ingredients already too.
Day 1: Smoky Black Bean Chilli Soup with Lime Yoghurt.
- Onion, chopped
- Garlic, 1 clove crushed
- Green pepper, 1 small diced
- Olive oil
- Ground cumin 1/2 tsp
- Smoked paprika 1/2 tsp
- Chilli flakes, a good pinch
- Chopped tomatoes, 400g tin
- Vegetable stock 400ml
- black beans 400g tin
- Greek or natural yoghurt 100ml
- Lime, 1 zested plus a little juice
- Cheddar grated to serve.
- Cook the onion, garlic and green pepper in a tbsp oil until soft. Add the spices and cook for a min then add the tomatoes and stock. Cook for 10 mins then add the beans and simmer for another 10 mins.
- Mix the yoghurt with the lime and top each bowl of soup with a spoonful and some grated cheddar (if you like).
This was really tasty, despite being a very simple dish. I put quite a bit of chilli in there to give it a real kick and this worked well with the zesty lime yoghurt. All in all, very easy to make and very tasty (to my surprise!). 7/10